How to Uninstall WordPress Theme (2022 Guide)
If you recently changed your WordPress theme, you may want to remove the previous subject. Other pre-installed WP themes may also need to be removed from your site. This article will show you how to Uninstall WordPress Theme without affecting your site.
What’s the Point of Getting Rid of the WordPress Template?
You should remove the WordPress theme from your website if it is not being used. It’s a good idea to get rid of old WordPress themes for various reasons.
Hackers can easily access your site because WordPress template files are written in PHP. (As a result, your website’s security has been compromised.)
Because of the increased backup time, it will take longer for your WordPress security plugin to complete its scan if these files are installed on the server.
Even if you don’t use these templates, you’ll still receive updates for them. This can be annoying.
WP themes are frequently installed on live websites by users who want to test them out. This is wildly off the mark. Because it’s a bad idea to use your live site to test out a WP theme, your site will be insecure and consume a lot of server space if you do this.
Use a demo or local WordPress site to test out a WordPress topic before going live. That way, your website is unaffected.
When It Comes to WordPress Topics, What’s the Difference Between Uninstalling and Uninstalling?
Just one subject is all that is required for a WordPress site to function. If you want, you can have unlimited templates on your site.
Even though these templates aren’t in use, your site will still have them, and you’ll be notified when new versions are available.
To get rid of a WordPress topic completely, you must delete it. This will remove all of your website’s template files.
Are WordPress Themes Safe to Remove?
- A WordPress topic you don’t use can be safely deleted. A WordPress site must have at least one topic in order to function properly. Your site’s display is based on the content in this post.
- Go to “Appearance ” » Themes to see what WP theme you’re currently using. An active topic is currently being discussed.
- An alternative subject should be installed so you can use it if your current subject is no longer operational.
- You can safely remove all other templates from your site except for these two.
Before Deleting a WordPress Template, What Should I Do?
- In order to preserve your customizations before erasing WordPress, you can create a complete backup of your site.
- Download the template folder to your computer as a backup.
- Use your WordPress hosting account’s file manager or an FTP client to accomplish this. Open the /wp-content/themes/folder on your PC and save the inactive theme folder there.
- Any time after backing up your old template, you can remove it from your website.
More From us: How to Find the Best Time to Publish a Blog Post
There are two ways to get rid of the WordPress template.
To remove a WordPress topic, you can do so in a number of ways. Here, you’ll learn about two approaches.
1. Removing the WordPress template from your site’s dashboard is possible.
- In order to remove a WordPress template, this is the most common method. First and foremost, go to Screen and Themes and select the template you wish to delete from the program.
- WordPress will display the template’s specific information in a pop-up window. The Delete button in the spring-up screen’s lower right corner is where you want to be.
- Afterward, you’ll be given the option to confirm or deny erasing the template. WordPress will delete your selected template if you click the OK button.
2. via FTP, remove the WordPress template
- If you cannot access the WordPress admin area, you may want to try this more advanced approach.
- Navigate to the/wp-content/themes/folder on your WordPress site using an FTP client.
- You should be able to locate the template folder you wish to remove from this location. Erase the folder name’s selection by selecting it in the context menu of the right-click menu.
- Your FTP program will now delete the Template you specified.
What to Do if a WordPress Template is Deleted by Accident?
- It is possible to recover a WordPress template that has been deleted by mistake in a number of ways.
- To begin, you can use a backup to restore the template. As a result, restoring your WordPress site to a previous state is a lot simpler.
- The template can be restored by downloading and installing another version of the same, even if you haven’t made a backup.
- Using the next method has the disadvantage of erasing all template customizations.
We hope this article helps you learn how to remove a WordPress template quickly and easily.